Friday, August 26, 2011

Australia!

Right now, I really wish I wasn't sitting.  My legs are aching, just like they ached the whole plane ride over here.  What I really want to do is lie down, but that isn't going to happen for a while, because if I lie down I'll fall asleep, and we have to be somewhere at 7 (right now it's about 6 here; we're 14 hours ahead).  This day has been ridiculously long.  I've had way too much time (a very uncommon problem for me)--they gave us 3 hours to unpack, then 3 hours to shop, then 3 hours before some sort of youth group at 7.  And originally we were told we'd be able to sleep at 7.

But it's been really exciting, too.  About an hour or so ago I saw my first wallaby, and it was pretty amazing.  Then he hopped, and it was even more amazing.  I saw a bunch more wallabies, too; they're all over the campus, just hanging around, eating, watching us.  And I saw this cool bird called a curlew, and we've been hearing kookaburras and magpies, and Professor Kettlekamp told us there are koalas all around this area, and I saw koala and wallaby crossing signs, and we drove on the left side of the road and it was super weird, and we can't go off the paths here because of snakes and who knows what else...  I'm actually in Australia!  It's actually real!  It's very cool, very weird, and very overwhelming.

1 comment:

  1. So cool to read about all of your adventures--and a relief that you and Nora (and Adam) arrived there safely. May your next few days and weeks be just as wonderful!

    ~Hanna

    ReplyDelete